Page Contents

Child Student Visa UK - New 2021 Requirements & Guide

In order to study in the UK, you can choose between a short-term study visa, a tier-4 child student visa, or a tier-4 general study visa. On the other hand, academic visitors have to obtain astandard visit visa.Today, we are going to cover the entire details of the tier-4 child study visa, which is especially meant for applicants aged below seventeen years and allows a long-term stay in the UK, depending on your course of study. Read on!

When Should You Apply For a Tier-4 Child Student Visa?

A tier-4 child student visa has been specifically designed for students aged between 4 and 17 years -- who wish to enroll and study in an independent school in the United Kingdom.Of course, you must have an offer from the educational facility, should have enough funds to cover your educational expenses, and must have the consent of your parents or guardian. Applicants who are based from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland do not need to apply for a child study visa.

With the help of a child student visa, you can enroll at an independent school in the UK and can also work, if you are over 16 years old. However, part-time working hours can span only up to a maximum of 10 hours per week (when school is open). Once can work full-time during vacations. If work placement (as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years) forms a part of your course curriculum, you can take that up as well. But the working hours should not be more than 50% of your course time)

By using a child student visa, you cannot enroll in an academy or a local authority-funded school aka maintained school. Neither can you use the same visa for furthering your education in a college. You cannot have access to public funds or take up full-time/self employment. A child study visa is not meant for working as a doctor or dentist in training, a professional sportsperson or entertainer. Additionally, this visa does not allow you to settle in the UK or bring dependants (for instance, if your parents are with you, they need to lodge an application as a parent of a tier 4 child visa applicant.

What Are the Courses Offered Under a Tier-4 Child Study Visa?

Students who have an unconditional offer from a licensed tier-4 sponsor can directly apply for a tier-4 child student visa.

Link: List of institutions licensed to sponsor migrant students under Tier 4

You should check out the below list for courses that are eligible for this category of visas:


National Curriculum


● Independent school education inspection standards


HM Inspectorate of Education


Education and Training Inspectorate

Independent Schools Inspectorate

One of our recommendations would be to do a short course in order to be fully prepared for the main course in the UK. However, please note that you cannot do a foundation course that guarantees direct admission to a higher education institution.

Documentation Requirements

In more generic terms, you will need to provide proof that you have an offer letter to study in the respective educational institution. You should also be able to validate that you have access to sufficient finances to support your stay without taking the help of public funds. You must have money to pay for your return or onward journey. Additionally, you must present permission from your parent (s) or guardian to study in the United Kingdom. Let us now explore these documentation requirements in detail.

Application Form & Passport

A completely filled and signed student visa application form. We have covered the details of this form in our ‘how to apply’ section. Additionally, you will need to submit an original passport, which is valid for your entire intended stay period in the UK. It should also contain at least one blank page for visa stamping. Otherwise, instead of a passport, you can submit a valid, acceptable travel document.

Financial Evidence

You must be able to provide proof that you can sustain yourself and pay for your course. The amount of funds that you will need to showcase will depend on the category you are applying for, the course length, the institute name, and living arrangements in the UK.

For validating that you have sufficient funds for maintenance, you can submit proof that you have paid the complete or a part of the course fee (up to £1,265), paid all or part of your boarding fees, you have got an official financial sponsorship, and you have the required money to cover your remaining course fees and living costs.

You can prove the availability of funds via bank statements, loan documents, or letters from banks or regulated financial institutions.

Proof of Parental Consent for Applicants Under 18 Years

If you are applying for a Tier 4 child student visa, you will need to provide a letter from your parent (s) or legal guardian (s), which confirms your relationship with the respective, mentioned adult (s) in the application and which ensures that the adult has given their consent to your application. This should be accompanied by a birth certificate, adoption certificate, or court order stating that the said person is your legal guardian.

Tuberculosis Test Results

You are additionally required to provide a Tuberculosis certificate if you are entering the UK for a long-term stay and have visited any of the countries listedhere. This certificate is valid for six months from the date of your x-ray and you need to include it in your application package.

Biometric Enrollment

Any application will not be accepted until you provide your biometric information. This includes your fingerprints and digital photo. This facility is available in all UK visa application centres. View the complete listhere.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

The CAS is a digital record, which arrives with a unique reference number and has the complete details of your course of study in the UK. The CAS is provided by your Tier

4 sponsors. Along with the CAS, your sponsor also holds the responsibility to give you details such as your course details, documents used for the assessment, and fees. This information is important as you will need it to fill the application form and to gather the necessary supporting documents.

A CAS should have the same details as in your passport and should be assigned not more than six months before the date of your application. Moreover, a CAS can only be used once. For more details on CAS, you can check this linkhere.

For the complete list of documents as per your circumstances, please make sure to go through the points mentioned in thislink.

Application Process

Complete the Application Form Online

In order to begin your application for a Tier 4 child student visa, you must first check if you need a visahere. If yes, you can start your online application by visiting thislink. Choose Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa and then enter the country where you will lodge the application and submit your biometrics.

After confirming your location, please register yourself by entering your email address and password. Once you begin the process, enter the required information and collect all the supporting documents. After completing the application, download the document, sign it, and take a printout of the same.

Fix an Appointment and Visit the Visa Application Center

Now, you will need to fix an appointment at the nearest visa application center. Arrive at the center on the said date and submit your application alongside the biometrics.

Receipt of Visa & Subsequent Steps

Once your visa is approved (the decision which usually takes up to three weeks), you will get a vignette sticker stamped on your passport. You need to enter the UK within 30 days of getting it. After reaching the UK, you need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit within 10 days from a named Post Office branch or from your sponsor in the UK.

Tier 4 Child Study Visa: When to Apply, Allowable Stay Period, and Fees

You should lodge an application for a study visa not more than three months before you start your course. Once you get the visa, you can reach within 1 week prior to the commencement of the program if your course lasts 6 months or less. You can land in the UK within one month before your course starts if your program’s duration is more than 6 months.

Applicants under 16 years can use this visa to say up to 6 years + 4 months afterwards, if required. Applicants between 16 to 17 years can stay up to 3 years + 4 months afterwards, if required. Generally, foreigners have to pay a fee of £348 to apply for this visa. You will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. You can check this amounthere.

What Makes
us different
  • Guaranteed UK based team with money back guarantee
  • Secure We do not share your details with third parties
  • Highly Recommended 5stars See our reviews

We are Highly Recommended

Don't just take our word for it...Check Our Reviews