Page Contents

UK Short Term Study Visa - New 2021 Requirements & Guide

The short-term study visa allows non EU nationals to study a short-term course in the UK, generally for stay period of up to six months

A short-term study visa is a type of UK study visa (which also includes the tier 4 general study visaand tier 4 child study visa), which allows you to enroll for a short-term course in the United Kingdom. It generally allows a stay period of up to 6 months. However, you can also get an 11-month valid visa when you are over 16 years of age and are planning to study an English language course. Please note that academic visitors have to obtain a standard visit visa.In this page, we are going to cover the entire details of the short-term study visa. Read on!

When Should You Apply For a Short-Term Student Visa?

You should apply for a short-term study visa if you are a resident from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and meet all the eligibility requirements. As the name suggests, this visa category allows you to do a short study course in the UK (inclusive of English language or training courses) or to carry out a short part of your research, required to secure a foreign degree.

However, there are some activities that cannot be carried out under the short-term study visa. You cannot enroll in a state-funded school, engage in business or work*, apply for a visa extension, bring dependents in the same visa, or get access to public funds.

What Are the Courses Offered Under a Short-Term Study Visa?

In order to be eligible for a short term study visa, you need to provide proof of acceptance for a course, provided by an institute which holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence. If not, your course should be from an educational facility listed under one of the following organizations:

As a foreigner, you can learn the following courses with a short term study visa:

English as a foreign language

An 11 month student visa allows you to learn English as a foreign language -- under the condition that you are 16 years of age or more and have received acceptance from the respective course. NOTE: If only a certain part of the course teaches English as a foreign language, then you need to lodge an application for a 6-month study visa.

Enrolling in an UK institute as a part of an overseas course

Foreigners aged 16 years or above can apply for a short-term study visa if they are already enrolled in an overseas higher education institution and need to visit the UK as a part of the curriculum. However, the foreign institute from which one is getting the degree needs to be recognized by a national accreditation and should offer a part of the course in the UK which is at par with a UK degree. The UK-based research should be a short stint.

Enrolling for medical, veterinary or dentistry electives

An elective is defined as an add-on (optional) subject for certain course curriculums. You can apply for a short-term student visa to study an elective that is a part of a main course such as medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry. To be eligible, the foreign course must be equivalent to a UK degree. The elective should provide direct value to the main subject. Moreover, you need to present proof that you have been accepted by the respective education facility in the UK. In your study period, you cannot engage in any paid work.

Link: List of institutions licensed to sponsor migrant students under Tier 4.

Documentation Requirements

The general documentation requirements ask you to validate that you have been given an offer letter to study in the respective educational institution. You should additionally be able to prove that you have sufficient finances to support your stay without taking the help of public funds. You must have money to pay for your return or onward journey.

If you are aged below 18 years, require to submit the accommodation arrangements in the UK and present permission from your parent (s) or guardian to study in the United Kingdom. Let us now explore these documentation requirements in detail.

Application Form & Passport

A completely filled and signed student visa application form. We have covered the details of this form in our ‘how to apply’ section. Additionally, you will need to submit an original passport, which holds a minimum validity of 6 months or which is valid for your entire intended stay period in the UK. It should also contain at least one blank page for visa stamping. Otherwise, instead of a passport, you can submit a valid, acceptable travel document.

Financial & Accommodation Evidence

Financial evidence can be presented in the form of bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months. You should be able to present the complete details of your stay arrangements and a comprehensive travel itinerary.

Course-related Documents

Of course, since the main purpose of this visa is to enroll for a short-term course in the UK, you must provide the necessary documents about your course. A letter of acceptance from the educational institution should be submitted. This letter should be typed on a paper with an official head and should specify the course’s name, duration, and course -- alongside accommodation arrangements.

Depending on your circumstances, you might also be asked to present proof of previous qualifications like academic certificates, references or transcripts. English language qualifications are also mandatorily required by several universities.

Again, you might be needed to verify that you have permission of residence in the country from where you are lodging the visa application. If you have a financial sponsor, you will have to give evidence about his occupation, income, savings or funds that will be used to support you during your stay.

Certain research-based courses additionally need a Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate. You need to apply for an ATAS (if you need one) before you apply for the short term UK student visa.

LINK: Check if you need an ATAS

Proof of Parental Consent for Applicants Under 18 Years

If you are under 18 and traveling on your own, you need to provide written consent from your parents or guardian, along with their complete contact details. You should also submit evidence that you have someone with whom you can stay in the UK during your course span. You will be asked to submit details of the host such as their name and birth date, address, relationship details with the applicant, and written consent allowing the applicant to stay with them.

Finally, if you're under 18 years of age, you are required to provide a letter from the school confirming that it has already informed the local authorities of your stay. Once you arrive in the UK, the documents should state that you have arranged for someone to look after you for 28 days who falls under private foster care.

Minors who are traveling with an adult have to identify the accompanying adult in the application form. This name will appear in the visa and they need to accompany you to the UK -- otherwise you won't be given entry into the country. The adult must lodge a separate visa application and you can mention up to two adults in your form -- with one traveling with you to the United Kingdom.

Tuberculosis Test Results

You are additionally required to provide a Tuberculosis certificate if you are entering the UK for a stay that exceeds 6 months and have visited any of the countries listedhere. This certificate is valid for six months from the date of your x-ray and you need to include it in your application package.

Biometric Enrollment

Any application will not be accepted until you provide your biometric information. This includes your fingerprints and digital photo. This facility is available in all UK visa application centres. View the complete listhere.

NOTE: Any documents which are not originally in English or Welsh have to be translated and should contain the translator’s contact information.

Application Process

Complete the Application Form Online

In order to begin your application for a short term UK student visa, you must first check if you need a visahere. If yes, you can start your online application by visiting thislink. Choose ‘short-term study visa’ and then enter the country where you will lodge the application and submit your biometrics.

After confirming your location, please register yourself by entering your email address and password. Once you begin the process, enter the required information and collect all the supporting documents. After completing the application, download the document, sign it, and take a printout of the same.

Fix an Appointment and Visit the Visa Application Center

Now, you will need to fix an appointment at the nearest visa application center. Arrive at the center on the said date and submit your application alongside the biometrics.

Receipt of Visa & Subsequent Steps

Once your visa is approved (the decision which usually takes up to three weeks), you will get a vignette sticker stamped on your passport. A study visa is generally priced at £97 for a 6 month visa and £186 for an 11 month visa. You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

What Makes
us different
  • Guaranteed UK based team with money back guarantee
  • Secure We do not share your details with third parties
  • Highly Recommended 5stars See our reviews

We are Highly Recommended

Don't just take our word for it...Check Our Reviews