Everything you need to know about a Lesotho Visa
passport holders fall under the list of visa-exempt nationals, who can travel
to Lesotho without a visa and stay in the country for a specified period as per
their purpose of travel.
you enter Lesotho borders, immigration officials will check your eligibility
and stamp the allowable stay period on your passport.
You should note that you
cannot overstay the allowed time span. If you fail to follow this policy, you
can face severe penalties, including detention, hefty fines, and deportation.
should note that if you do want a visa, there’s also a facility for visa on
arrival at entry ports. In order to avail either the visa-exemption or VOA
facility, you need to present a British citizen passport that has a remaining
validity of at least six months from your entry date and a minimum of two
unused visa pages.
documents which you should carry with you include proof of onward or return
travel and evidence of sufficient funds to sustain your said stay period in the
Visa requirements for foreigners residing in the UK
Citizens from 40 countries are granted visa-free entry into Lesotho for a stay of up to 90 days, whereas nationals of 17 territories can stay in Lesotho without a visa for up to 14 days.
Almost all Commonwealth Member Countries fall under the visa-exemption policy.Here’s the complete list.
Citizens from the rest of the jurisdictions must obtain a visa prior to their travel dates throughLesotho’s e-visa system. The High Commission in London and most of the embassies/consulates of the Kingdom of Lesotho no longer accept physical visa applications.
A single or multiple entry e-visa is granted for tourism and business purposes. You cannot take up paid employment using an ordinary visa. This entry document is valid for the duration as approved by the immigration authorities and should be used before the expiry date as indicated on the visa.
Before starting with your application, you should make sure that you have the following documents with you:
- A passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay period in Lesotho
- Two recent, passport-size photographs
- A detailed itinerary which describes the purpose of your visit, such as business, pleasure, tourism, family visit, or studies
- A letter of invitation that requests your presence in Lesotho
- A letter of introduction from your employer specifying your employment status, salary, duration of employment, leave of absence, and the intent of business (if required)
- Recent bank statements or evidence of funds to prove your financial stability
- A yellow fever certificate if you are arriving from a nation with a risk of yellow fever or AIDs transmission
Additional supporting documents
- Address of accommodation (if applicable)
- Travelers with minors below 16 years should present birth certificates or a consent letter from parents/legal guardians
- Tour groups should attach details of the tourist agency
Once you have the documents ready, start your application after registering with your email. Complete the visa application form online and upload the required documents.
Make the visa fee payment of 100 British Pounds (visa is issued Gratis to holders of official and diplomatic passports). If your visa is approved, it will be emailed to you within 72 hours.
Note: You should not apply for an e-visa if you are planning to travel to Lesotho within the next three days or later than the next 12 months.
For additional queries, you can contact the Lesotho High Commission in London.
UK Emergency Travel Documents
The immigration officials in Lesotho accept UK ETDs for entering, transiting, or exiting from the nation. However, you should ensure that your Emergency Travel Document is valid for at least six months when you intend to use it for any of the above purposes.
Things to note before visiting Lesotho
The British High Commission in Lesotho does not offer consular support. So, while in the country, if you need consular assistance, you can contact the British High Commission in Pretoria.
Homosexuality is considered illegal by the Lesotho authorities. Drug-related offenses bear severe consequences.
Medical facilities in Lesotho are limited. For any medical emergency, you should travel to Bloemfontein, South Africa, which is a 90-minute drive away from Maseru. You should carry comprehensive travel health insurance so that you can easily access funds related to medical expenses, air evacuation, and repatriation.